Thursday, December 4, 2014

Today I wasn't having it

…and that's ok. It's also one of the hardest things to come to terms with while traveling. Admitting that you don't like a place you're visiting, or that you would rather stay in bed all day then go see another fucking site.

Today was one of those days. From the moment I woke up in Chefchuan to the time I went to sleep for the 3rd time in 24 hours I was an absolute asshole. A monster. A rain cloud pissing on everyone within my 2 foot radius. Unfortunately for Sabrina, she got pissed on a lot (and not in the sexy R. Kelly way) For that I am sorry.

I've experienced this before on other trips. Days where I could give a fuck about doing anything. Days where if another dude asks me if I want to buy hash or eat at his shit box restaurant I may rip his head off and punt it over the city wall. These are not good days. You would not like me on these days.

I also know from experience when this happens, perhaps the worst part of it all, is what a fucking jerk you feel like for being mad in the first place. Here you are traveling the world, no job, no rent, no responsibilities other than getting yourself to the next amazing new place and instead of going to that next new awesome place you're gonna spend your today pouting in your hostel room, mad at the world because it's rained for 5 days straight. Poor little you.

So what do you do? I'll tell you what you don't do. Make your wife cry because you're being a dick head. Whoops too late for that one.

What you should do is realize … it's alright to have a bad day traveling. When you're doing it for this long, traveling stops being a vacation and just becomes your life. Your day to day. And it's going to come with as many stresses and inconveniences of everyday life at home. When it gets to the point where you want to set fire to your guide book… just allow yourself to have a bad day. Embrace it. Sit in your angry shit pile all day long. Stew in it. Revel in your anger and then... get over it, you are traveling the world after all you unappreciative little bitch.




0 comments:

Post a Comment