Thursday, January 21, 2010

Beer review #1 Peru

I figure this blog should try its best to impart some wisdom on the people of the world, not just make them laugh. I think my Irish lineage and countless trips to the emergency room due to excessive drinking make me somewhat of a expert on all things alcohol.


So here it is. My first of many global beer reviews.
*reviews best viewed with buzz on so go grab a cold one.



Peru- Land of Altitude and pretty tasty beers.


So maybe it was because it was the first beer we had on the trip, or because we were really thristy, or because I love beer so much you could put horse piss in a cup and call it a micro brew and I'd happily down it, BUT man these beers tasted good.



THE BEST OF THE BUNCH:


Cusquena Malta.


Just like I like my beers, dark, chocolatey, cold as hell, and pack with 5.2% alcohol. This beer was mighty tasty. While dark it wasn't heavy, at really cold temps it drank just like a pilsner. The chocolatey/coffee finish was amazing. Loved every sip, and at high altitude you pack 2 of these bad boys away and you're starting to feel like St. San Francisco himself (thats a Peruvian culture joke, and it's not very funny.)





THE OTHER DARK BEER:


Pilsen Polar


I was really excited to drink this beer. The label has a Polar Bear on it, nuff said. But alas, this must have been one of those Polar Bears that enjoys killing seals and drinking shitty beers because this one left a little to be desired. Maybe it's because Cusquena Malta is so damn good, but Pilsen Polar just didnt cut it. It had a very bitter taste, and didn't have the coffee/chocolate notes I liked so much in Cusquena.





THE LIGHTER SIDE OF PERU:


Cusquena Pilsner


This is a marathon drinking beer, both because you can drink alot of them and also because it's so refreshing I could imagine drinking one after actually running a marathon...that is if I did that sort of thing...I think they call it excercising.


It's a light beer, but doesn't taste like a Miller Light. Has some taste to it, and man when it's cold its delicious.





A LITTLE TASTE OF HOME:


Brahma


This was the beer of choice at our hostel. It's pretty tasty but you can get it in the States so I'm not going to spend too much time on it. Lacks a punch in the alcohol department, but their calendar girls are muy caliente!




OFF TO BOLIVIA. SALUD!

0 comments:

Post a Comment