Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Wealth, not poverty, is what's shocking.



This is a lesson I learned unexpectantly on the ride from to Bolivia to Argentina. Sitting on a comfortbale bus watching Star Trek with the AC blasting, I turned my attention to the world outside if only for a brief moment.
What was vast stretches of land, houses made of salt, kids playing shoeless in the streets, was now replaced with mega marts, paved roads and mansions that spanned the length of entire towns.

When did wealth become so shocking? Streets lined with cars. Neighborhoods sliced into sections like those at home. Street lights. Cross walks.

Where were the lamas in the road? Or the cities that lost power during the slightest rain storm?

I couldn't believe how much this affected me, watching from my cushioned bus chair with my shoeless feet propped up on the foot rest. It was like I'd landed on the moon.
I quickly realized that wealth, not poverty, takes some getting used to. I figure if you're born in the middle of the Bolivian salt flats with nothing but a soccer ball and a goat, you learn to live the most rewarding life you can with your soccer ball and your goat.

It's funny how quickly your perception changes of what is defined as "nice". In the states a "nice" hotel for me was at least 4 stars. It was not called a motel. Had to have cable, AC, a comfortable bed (preferably a dream matress), a rain shower, a pool, a sauna, a gym, jacuzzi (that I may or may not use), an in room snack bar (which I would def not use), a complimentary bathrobe, a tv in the bathroom, and oh about 10 other things.
Now, a "nice" hotel for me is one that has a bed, won't flood while I'm asleep, and isn't over run by scorpions or other creatures of the night.

Forget the dream bed. Give me a rice bag filled with hay and I'll sleep for 10 hours.

Forget the AC (well give it to me if you have it) but just give me a room that has a roof on it.

Forget the shower. Shit I don't even shower anymore so it doesnt matter.

But that's exactly my point. You don't need what you don't have.

These folks here know that, or they don't know that, which might be even better. Ignorance is bliss.

Its amazing the smiles Ive seen. Kids smiling while they kick a rolled up piece of paper through make shift goals. Kids swinging from trees as they use sticks and their imaginations to pretend they're transformers...not some $30 toy from toys r us...a stick...for free...from the earth.
People laughing out loud eating from carts on the side of the street, or from in the walls of their cinder blocked house. No AC. No Direct Tv. No nothing. Just them and their laughter.

P uts things in perspective real fast.

Turns out I don't need Direct TV...and it absolutely kills me to say that.

1 comments:

Julia Walsh said...

Well said.

So does that mean you want to donate your big TV to me? Thanks.

Post a Comment