Friday, July 30, 2010

The loudest place on earth.

Alexandria, Egypt. Holy fucking guacamole this place is loud. I mean NY on New Years to the 10th power loud. Ambulances stuck in traffic. Hundreds upon hundreds of people lining every sea wall, filling every side walk, and every street corner cafe until 8 in the morning. Beaches filled to capacity. Streets over flowing with traffic that moves at a snails pace. Music blasting out of every window, car, store front and shwarma stand. It's unreal.

And people don't sleep here. Literally. Beaches are filled from dusk until dawn and dusk again. The sidewalks are constantly full of people. The restuarants always packed. The streets always lined with cars. And they do it all without alcohol. I shit you not. I know I know impossible to believe. But it's true. Pick a time. 3pm, 5 am, 11 pm, 1 am...people be up. They're like sharks and zebras...they dont sleep.. Ever. And trying to in the middle of all of this is like trying to sleep ontop of a speaker at a Metallica concert.

It's also dirty. Really dirty. Trash and human poop in the hallway dirty. Garbage on the street. Garbage in the ocean. Garbage in the garbage. It's everywhere. So much garbage you wonder if there's enough room for the rats to live amng it.

It's not for everyone. I mean everyone outside of the 10,000,000 people that line its streets every morning, noon, and night and I realize that I won't love every place we go, but for me...this one, ranks near the bottom of places I've been. Glad I saw it, but glad I didn't have to stay for too long.

0 comments:

Post a Comment