Wednesday, August 25, 2010

This stuff is all too Egyptian...it can't be real.

A weird thing is happening lately in Egypt. Every ruin, pyramid, and/or temple I visit doesn't seem real to me. I look at them and think to myself "They have these in Vegas." or "I've seen statues like this outside of P.F. Chang's.".

It's just not registering.

I'm having a hard time connecting my brain with my eyes. I find myself standing in the middle of the Sahara with a sun beating down on me like 2000 fists, and I'm lost. These ancient statues tower over me and I just stand there with my jaw on the floor. Drooling.

I stand 1 foot away from heiroglyphics that date back to 1200 BC and my brain goes "tilt. tilt. tilt.". I just can't grasp it all. It's almost impossible to understand it. We're talking about stuff thats 3000 years old. Older than Jesus. Older than Napoleon. Older than Lincoln. Older than Miley Cyrus.

I find myself constantly repeating "Take this all in. Focus. These are things you'll never see again." I try. I try to burn the images in my head, but I constantly find myself walking away thinking it was all a dream.

Maybe it's because we've seen so much already. Maybe it's because I never thought I'd actually see these things in my lifetime. Whatever the reason it's wierd. I just hope if I ever forget about this adventure one of you will remind me, 'Hey remember that time you drooled on the Sphynx's foot. That was pretty cool man.'

0 comments:

Post a Comment