Thursday, September 2, 2010

People have always been assholes.

The wonder of ancient Egypt. The history. The architecutral triumphs. The 200 year old graffiti.

Seriously.

Walking through these great halls, I had a hard time deciding wether I was more impressed with the history that surrounded me or pissed off at the lack of respect many people over the years have shown these statues.

Look passed the thousand year old heiroglyphics and you see countless names scratched into the surface of every wall, statue, and tomb. 1878. 1876. 1890. Explorers filled with the triumph of discovering these tombs, quickly defaced them all by carving their names into them. And hundreds of years later, sunburned tourists from all parts of the globe contiuned the tradition. The great tombs of Egypt now resemble a bathroom stall at a turnpike rest stop.

Joe was here. Bob and Kathy 1989. Descarts 1890.

It's insane to me the level of ego the average human posseses. I wonder if any of these people stopped to think while they were carving hearts and puppy dog shapes into the faces of history; maybe this isn't a good idea. Maybe I'm a little less important than these things I've traveled to see. Maybe future generations could care less if 'Margret and Stan were here'. I doubt it. They were probably too busy thinking about getting back on the air conditioned bus after they finished marking their place in history.

I hate Margret and Stan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment