Friday, September 10, 2010

Dear Egypt it's not me it's you.

It may seem like I've been attacking Egypt alot so far in my blog and it would seem that way because its probably true. What started as a passionate love affair ended with me sneaking out the window while Egypt slept to try and find some strange. Now that I have a new country to compare Egypt to, the divide in our relationship is bound to grow even bigger.

I found myself always wondering where common sense was in Egypt. Why places that should be open were closed. Why people charged so much more for things then they should. Why people always took the long way to get some where, why no one stayed in their lanes while driving, why lanes didnt exist at all, why people held onto their babies while riding on the bakck of motorcycles without helmets. Nothing seemed to make sense. Common sense was no where to be found. In a city as modern as Cairo, it seemed like technology had evolved but that the people hadn't.

How would Inida compare? We had heard the horror stories. Inida is hell on earth. Hell on earth would actually be a 5 star hotel compared to India. Its beyond crowded. Its beyond dirty. Its beyond your wildest dreams/nightmares. After 4 days of stomping around in mud covered shit and weaving our way through the rain soaked population I can say that for the most part these advance warnings are pretty accurate. It is crowded. It's beyond dirty. It's heart wrenching at times. BUT. And I put this in all caps for a reason, despite the dirt, and the garbage, and the beggars, there lives a common courtesy and an adherence to reason that I am floored (and incredibly greatful) to see.

Stuff makes sense here, and more importantly, PEOPLE ARE NICE AND INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. People smile, even when walking in a downpour. They don't look at you like you're an alien. They dont give you the impression that they want you out of their country. They are welcoming. They are kind. They are calm. They are quiet. I think they realize that life can be lived without screaming, or yelling, or panicing. It's a welcome change from the madness that was Cairo.


Who knows maybe a few weeks in India will make me feel the same way, but as for now I'm just soaking up the good stuff and excited to see what this country has in store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment